Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Coaching Urged for Women

This article talks about women in the workplace and the lack of leadership mentoring they recieve. It touches base on the statistics of men and women in management positions. Women are far less seen as top management in fortune 500 companies than men. This article talks about why this is. Research has shown that is all comes down to the lack of leadership training and mentoring. It talks about how companies need to groom women to climb the corporate ladder to add diversity to top management. This article is focused on companies that want diversity, but what about the ones that don't? They should just be able to ignore the fact that women don't recieve the same training or mentoring, or that they are put into positions that will never lead to a CEO position? Its an interesting article but I don't think it should be expressed only to companies looking for gender diversity.

2 comments:

  1. I find this article to be very interesting but not all that suprising. I don't believe that it is college education that is hindering their abiltiy to move forward. Both men and women, depending on where you attend college I suppose, should be recieving the same education. However, I do believe their are barriers to women advancing in top management postions due to a resistance to change. That women are too emotional and do not posses the capability to hold a strong stand in their position. However, Donald Trump believes women are capable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also find this article to be interesting. I guess I'm surprised by it and yet I'm not. I had hoped that companies were moving past this by now but apparently not. In our company we have a Manager In Training program that lasts for two years. Anyone in the entire company is allowed to apply no matter how long they have been there or what their job title is. Every applicant is required to submit an application, letters of recommendation, and an essay on proposed company change. That being said, however, I can't say for sure how the end candidates are chosen over others. I don't think that gender has anything to do with it but age or seniority certainly might even though it supposedly doesn't.

    ReplyDelete