Monday, April 4, 2011

"Shut Your Cyber Mouth"

I found this article very interesting, because it's a topic very relevant in my life and work. What can you say on social networks? It's becoming more difficult to maintain a balance between Employer's rules and Employee's Freedom of Speech. Everyone has to be careful of what they say even when outside of work. Is this right? I understand both sides of the issue. A company wants to protect it's image and reputation and therefore does not want employees to say hurtful things about the company or other employees. Also, a company may not want an employee that makes hostile  or derogatory comments, either at or away from work. On the other side, an employee wants the freedom to go home and rant about work and decompress. I'm not sure which side I take more than the other, however I do know that it is a fine line to walk and when looking for a new job, you have to take into account what you look like on the internet. Can people find what you've said? Questionable pictures? A frustrated but misconstrued "tweet"? It's becoming more and more difficult to navigate the waters of work and social media.

Thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. I think the best rule here is NEVER say anything on the Internet that you would not say directly to someone's face. I know our HR department checks out many of the social networking sites when they are going to interview a prospective employee. If the condidate does something questionable once, they will probably repeat the behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sylvia. I'm not sure if people really don't realize that the whole world can see what they are saying or they just don't care. I know our company also checks the sites. I have heard of too many people that have gotten in trouble for what they said and some that have gotten fired. It used to be when you looked for a new job you just had to worry about how you presented yourself at the interview now it is how you act in all aspects of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think people should draw a fine line between their work, and social life-and the two shouldn't intertwine online. People that don't know how to set privacy settings or ensure their privacy on those networks-shouldn't be posting anything regarding their professional life. These types of sites contribute to the lack of real communication in the world in general now, rather than say something it's easier to "like", or briefly comment, or throw out a random status. I'm all for facebook, but I've never been "friends" w/ co-workers-those relationships would just become to "complicated".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I believe that people in a management position or any position in which they may represent their company, should be careful with how they act in public which also includes the internet. The public may view you as representing your company and it could potentially hurt business.

    ReplyDelete